Going to School in a Tribe (How Some Children Go To School in India-Orissa) Trailer
Meet Sagarita, a 10-yr-old girl of the Saura tribe as she attends school in her village of Tarasinghi on the hills. At school she learns how to count with sticks, make abacuses out of mud, and use blocks with Oriya letters. All the tribal children know how to use a bow and an arrow, so even at school they learn to identify letters by throwing an arrow on the correct letter on a string. Some days they go on nature walks, go door to door doing village surveys, or even run a pretend market.
Going to School in India Series is based on the book by Lisa Heydlauff. In this award-winning book and film series, you will experience what it is like to go to school in India through the eyes and voices of children. Every school day, millions of children in India go to school by boat, by bicycle, by wheelchair or barefoot. Some classes are held in the blistering heat of the mud desert, in the chill of the mountains or at night under lamps. Meet these students who overcome their challenges—all for the chance to learn.
• Best International Short at the KIDS FIRST! Film and Video Festival
• Jury Award for Best Family Film at the Big Bear International Film Festival
• Best of the Fest in Program E Category in the East Lansing Children's Film Festival.
• 2007 Parents Choice Recommended
• NAPPA Gold Award
• Dove Foundation Approval
• Newport Beach Film Festival
• San Diego International Children s Film Festival
• Planet in Focus International Environmental Film Festival
• 2006 South Asian International Film Festival
• LA International Children s Film Festival.
"A good choice for highlighting the diversity of schools and lifestyles in India, all affected by varying economic, religious, and geographic circumstances." Booklist
"It (Going to School in India) helps them explore how every day millions of children in India go to school in city classrooms, mountain fields, desert tents, monasteries and other places." Multicultural Review
2007. Grades K~5. Ages 5~12. All royalties from the sale of this DVD go to help fund the non-profit organization, "Going to School". DVDs available for sale at http://www.asiaforkids.com and http://www.cultureforkids.com